May 9-18, 2019 (10 Days | 9 Nights)
- Detailed Itinerary Ashé Cultural Tours reserves the right to make changes to the itinerary in order to accommodate the availability of artists, lecturers, and venues, and to account for unpredictable weather conditions.)
- Important Document & Websites
Through a collaboration between The Mainstay in Rock Hall and Ashé Cultural Tours, Mainstay audiences have the opportunity to participate in an immersive Cuban Music and Culture experience, including daily performances of Cuban traditional/popular music, jazz, and Latin jazz. This multi-city tour which runs from May 9-18, 2019 is led by Washington College professors Ken Schweitzer (music) and Aaron Lampman (anthropology), each of whom have extensive knowledge of Cuban Culture and share a deep desire to offer participants an insider’s view of Cuban Music, art, culture, cuisine and politics.
The cost is $2725 per person (which includes a $200 early bird discount for deposits made before September 1). Tour cost indicated is for double accommodation. Upgrades to single accommodation can be offered on a limited basis (rooms are in high demand) for $300/person. Note: Travelers who do not live near the Mainstay, and who wish to arrange their own transport to Cuba (ground transportation in the US, flight, & visa) receive a $550 discount.
DEPOSIT AND PAYMENT (For Mailing Address Click Here)
- Early Bird Deposit ($250) | Due December 1, 2018*
- Regular Deposit ($250) | Due February 1, 2019
- Balance | Due April 1, 2019
Overview of Included Costs
Housing, Food, and Transportation
- Coach bus from Washington College to Newark Airport (EWR) & return from Washington Reagan National (DCA) back to Washington College
- Medical Travel Insurance
- Round-trip flight to Cuba
- All necessary travel visas (for US citizens, non-Cuban born)
- 7 nights accommodation in Havana
- 2 nights accommodation in Trinidad de Cuba
- 9 home cooked breakfasts
- 3 lunches (at local restaurants)
- 7 home cooked dinners in our host’s home
- All program related ground transportation in Cuba, including airport transfers, intercity buses, local taxis, and bike taxis.
- All museum and concert entry fees.
- A minimum of one salsa class.
- Two optional educational sessions at the Mainstay, lists of recommended background material including readings and podcasts, and on-site talks and informal lectures by Cuban Music and Culture experts of Washington College, Dr. Ken Schweitzer (Music Department) and Dr. Aaron Lampman (Anthropology Department).
- Guided convertible tour of Havana in 1950s era American cars
- Guided walking tour of La Havana Vieja (Old Havana)
- Guided tour of the Museo de la Revolución
- A variety of other tours, selected based on availability and client interests. Possible inclusions: Rum and tobacco factories, Capitolio, organic urban farming, horseback tours of the countryside, evening tour of Havana’s fort (including a nightly Canon Ceremony), community art projects, university of Havana, tour of sugar plantations and remains of old sugar mills, and others!
- Daily concerts (Rumba, Son, Cabaret, Folkloric, Classical, etc.), including the world-famous Tropicana Night Club
- Professional salsa dance classes designed for beginners.
- Group discussions (led by Ken Schweitzer and Aaron Lampman) of Cuban music and culture, and the monumental change rippling through Cuban society as a result of the opening of relations with the U.S.
- You’ll have plenty of free time to explore the city on your own
- We’ll be sure that you have time to enjoy Cuba’s natural beauty and will help arrange visits to two beautiful white sand beaches (Playas de Estes outside of Havana & Playa Ancón outside Trinidad)
- Though we can make no guarantees, we will do our best to get the group invited to a Santería (AfroCuban traditional) Religious Ceremony
- Additional activities TBD
The following is NOT INCLUDED
- Checked Baggage Fees.
- Meals outside Cuba (e.g., breakfast/snacks in Newark Airport & lunch on the plane)
- Five lunches in Cuba
- Two dinners in Trinidad
- Taxis hired during limited “free-time.”
- Optional Travel insurance
- Souvenirs & snacks/drinks (though we try to offer complimentary refreshments and snacks throughout the day)